View Single Post
Old 08-25-2020, 09:24 AM   #8
78F350
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
... I would say especially European cars. There's a reason euro cars are so soft on the used market: shop rates are much higher than those for domestic or Asian cars. ...
There are better shop rates for some domestic and Asian cars. Is it because there area more 'lower end' garages that are familiar with them? A few years back my son needed an new alternator for a Hyundai - nearly $1,000 with labor at a dealer. My aircraft mechanic just swore off domestic trucks after his new Ram spent more time at the shop than on the road - complexity that even the dealership mechanics didn't seem to understand.

I'll DIY anything as long as I have the time, but most people are not like us and I often forget that. I think that ANY 20 year old car can suddenly become very expensive. New cars can too, but at least there's warranty. I really enjoy these cars, but not everybody should have one.