View Single Post
Old 08-20-2020, 06:25 PM   #9
Qingdao

As a mechanic I can say that your mechanic doesn't want to get involved with an IMS bearing replacement. It might be he doesn't feel comfortable doing it on someone else's car. Or it might just not make good business since for him to get involved in an IMS replacement.

Case in point I just painted a van for a guy down the street from me (side work obviously). And I noticed this old behemoth van was leaking a little ATF from the output shaft seal. I told the guy about it, and he wanted me to tap in a new one. I don't wanna mess with it and it didn't make good business sense for me to get involved with replacing this seal. Also, old vehicles (this one was from the early 80s) have rusty bits, obnoxious parts to locate, and whatever dodgy previous repairs to deal with****. SO I told him to take it to a trans shop. I'm capable, I can do it; I don't want to do it. Your mechanic might be in this situation; and I don't blame him.

Granted I wouldn't do an IMS at 41k and why do you need a clutch at 41k??? Maybe the plastic parts in the IMS have degraded with age??

^^^ Goes to show I don't work on Porsche engines and I'd probably wave away someone else's H6 IMS bearing job too. LOL

*** EDIT: also I'm just not motivated. I wanna work on my own Boxcar

WTB: any cheap 986 shifter new or used

Last edited by Qingdao; 08-20-2020 at 06:29 PM.
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote