Thread: Radiator fan
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2020, 07:30 AM   #18
Starter986
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
Sounds like it is the fan (as you had already figured out ) If there isn't a huge price difference I would go with new, but I have never priced them out. Both of my fans are going strong at 154,000 miles so a low mileage used one would probably last for a long time.

Adding the switch I feel really helped me, I used to just turn it on at the end of a session and I could really see the oil temp coming down, so then I got to where I just turned it on at the beginning of every track session.

My 987.2 Cayman, from what I understand, has variable speed fans that are not as easy to jumper them to run on high, so I haven't done that mod yet on the Cayman...
Yeah... I'm leaning towards both fans.

This morning I tackled the driver side fan removal. Hooked it up to 12V... and nothing.

The passenger side fan, because it starts on high speed, is a candidate for replacement.

I found this pair: https://www.carparts.com/details/Porsche/Boxster/Replacement/Cooling_Fan_Assembly/1998/SET-RP16090001-2.html

I've read that aftermarket fans are made of less superior components... and some reports claim vibrating and wobbly. That causes me concern because I won't want to be replacing fans forever.

So I'm leaning to a pair of fans pulled from the same car and, hopefully, with reasonably low miles. Just the fans... connector and resistor attached... plug and play. I'll be posting a WTB ad soon but, in the meantime I welcome any offers for a pair of fans.

Cheers!