Thread: This & That
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2020, 11:37 AM   #70
78F350
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Time for an update...
I sold THIS in late July. It went to a good home and I'm looking forward to seeing how plans develop for some mods he has in mind.

Our text conversation went something like this:

Quote:
Patrick, “Wait, am I buying This?”
Me, “Yes, it's This, not That.”
Patrick, “Oh man, I can't believe you're letting it go! I mean, I totally can believe that you are reducing the size of your stable, but THIS??”
Me, “It was a hard decision, but if two were going to go This and That were the best choice. Keeping just This or just That wouldn't be right. My plan is to keep the Other forever, Red will become This and the black one gets to be That.”
Patrick, “The black Challenge car?”
Me, “The black Challenge car for this year... not the black Challenge car from last year ...which will be the Challenge car for next year.”
Patrick, “Last years car getting the V8? This is a lot to keep up with.”
Me, “ Yes. This is actually pretty easy to keep up; That is the one that needs all the work.”
...Now I think he may get Florida tags for This and his 996, “That”.

THAT is ready to sell. It's not perfect and is not worth making perfect. At 150k miles it's a good daily driver car that can be improved, or driven reliably as it is. My daughter enjoyed it for a couple years, but drives a Cayenne now.
The last bit of paint work after replacing the quarter panel was getting the driver's door done. It had a big run/sag in the paint near the mirror and I had to sand it and do it over. It is much better now.

I had two codes causing a check engine light. P1126 cleared up after I found that the intake tube on the throttle body wasn't clamped tight. P0197 cleared after I replaced the oil temperature sensor. Replacing the temp sensor on a '99 wasn't as bad as I expected. I didn't have to unbolt the left intake runner.

Video: https://youtu.be/44xTIZyulcY

I've submitted the paperwork to transfer tags for my red '97 to be THIS and the black 2000 to be THAT. As long as there's enough Boxsters around, I might as well keep the names.