View Single Post
Old 08-06-2020, 02:36 PM   #1
luffy

Help needed for newbie! 6spd 986 problems

Hi everybody, I wish my introduction here was under better circumstances, but here goes:

I have a 2001 Boxster S that I recently purchased. It has a slight 2nd gear grind and previous owner said service center had used a generic transaxle fluid. I picked up some OEM stuff and decided to try doing a fluid change late at night after the kids were in bed. Drain plug cracked open easily, then i found what I thought was the fill plug. I open it with a torx and started filling. About 3.5l in i realized I did something wrong. I checked the diagram I was using and it was for a 5spd. I removed something else, basically the bolt at the 11 o clock position relative to the axle shaft on the passenger side. I put the bolt back in, opened the correct fill bolt and drained the excess fluid. The bolt i removed is circled in red.

The massive problem is now I can barely select gears and I fear the bolt I removed has misaligned the shifter assembly or something preloaded. The shifter will not move to the right or self center. There is a chance I moved or knocked the shift cables and this is a coincidence but I'm not confident of that.

Anyone know what that bolt retains and how it could impact shifting? Any guidance at all would be appreciated as I fear I've done something that will require a rebuild or disassembly.

Thanks again, have already gained a wealth of knowledge from these forums.
luffy is offline   Reply With Quote