View Single Post
Old 08-02-2020, 10:23 AM   #8
Bronxboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1PorscheBoxster986 View Post
You cannot just buy any old Porsche remote with pill included and attempt to program it. There is a series of #s in the bar code label that must be scanned during the programming stage. This label is in the packaging when you purchase a new remote. You need the barcode label scanned or minimum those series of #s manually inputted to program the car to recognize the key.

If you have a standard key cap with your laser cut key there's a chance there's a transponder pill inside of it. I filed mines down with a dremel and placed it inside a Porsche keyfob which doesn't have the remote chip. This is my spare key. I use it sometimes to remind myself of the older times when people had to manually use the key to get into the car and start the car as the norm; I'm not old.

Attachment 22476
Thanks very much, that helps. My situation is puzzling. My 99 986 came with a remote key and a valet key. The remote key manually starts the car, but the remote does not work (& I have no barcode). My valet manually unlocks the door, but does not start the car. Since the remote key starts the car, perhaps the remote part can be made to work. The valet key, though, is a puzzler! Thanks for any feedback.
Bronxboy is offline   Reply With Quote