Thread: Increasing HP?
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2020, 07:01 PM   #23
Rayrevolver

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986Chick View Post
Hi. I have a 986 Boxster with the 2.7L engine. While it's a fun car that I bought on a lark one day and am glad I did, I've always had Corvettes before, and the lack of power in the Boxster is frustrating at times. My Ford Expedition has more power.

What can one do to raise the HP without breaking the bank?

I'm not going to go to heroic measures to eek out another 5bhp at the cost of $5,000. But are there things that will make a noticeable difference in oomph without major surgery? I'm told some exhaust solutions can bump up the HP, but is it really noticeable? Feel free to tell me, "It's never going to be a fast car, just enjoy it for what it is." That's what I've been telling myself. But I thought I would ask, just in case. What wisdom do you experts have for this lady with her first Boxster?
What about weight?

I see ads on Ebay for exhaust systems in the $300-400 range that say you can save a bunch of weight.

I bought lightweight wheels on a previous car, dropped 6-7lbs per corner. It was great and really helped the engine rev (I remember the change was like AC on vs AC off), the braking, and overall nimbleness. I cracked 2 wheels though, maybe it was an LA pothole. You can find used OZ wheels that are a few lbs lighter than stock, for $1000.
Rayrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote