View Single Post
Old 10-23-2006, 10:12 AM   #5
mwh98

Did the hack on an 01 successfully!!

I did the hack that Randal cites and it works great!! My only regret was that I did not wire the other side of the switch. I used a spoiler swith (On-Off-On) and followed the directioins of the hack. It will work by getting you: the outside temp, MPG, average speed, limit speed, and trip odometer. With the hack only the trip odometer will reset, so I have the lifetime average speed of 30 mph ansd MPG of 23.5 ............ I believe you can enable the other side of the switch to allow a total reset and set the limit speed (you just need another VW jumper wire to the correct harness slot).

I had the oil changed, a key coded and the tires balanced by the dealer and they charged me and additional $50.00 to enable the temp and felt bad when they could not get it to pop up on the dash. All I did was reach in and press the switch a few times and it poped right up. They were kinda out of it for techs......you would think they know the car in and out.

The hack was easy if you feel comfortable working on your car (i.e. can install a stereo, hard wire a radar detector, etc...) I just takes some time and GUTS to begin the dis-assembly process. you would be surprised at how our cars are put together, kinda reminds me of my old high school 1971 Karman Ghia. My fiend that just bought an 06 Carrera thinks I'm nuts, but I no longer have a warranty to hinder my exploring.

Mark
01 Seal Gray 986
San Antonio, Texas
mwh98 is offline   Reply With Quote