View Single Post
Old 07-28-2020, 03:35 AM   #5
scootr

Quote:
Originally Posted by redankulous View Post
Hey everyone,

I'm 24, about 2 years out of college. I've been somewhat frugal my entire life, but with an undeniable taste for the finer things in life.

Since getting out of a relationship, moving to a significantly cheaper apartment, and spending $0 on social events because of COVID, I've cut about 3k/month out of my budget since February. This along with being relatively new to California, I figured it would be fun to buy a convertible to drive out to the beach on the weekends. I test drove Mustangs, Miatas, and Z3/4's and thought they were ok, but didn't get too excited.

I have a friend who makes about half my salary who bought a 987 Cayman. I thought he was stupid, assuming he went into debt for it... until he told me how much he spent on it. I test drove a boxster about 3 weeks ago, and I'm absolutely hooked. It is practically all I can think about. It's like discovering what true love really feels like...

Anyways, because I'm a cheapo and am not sure if this is just a phase, I'm looking to spend $10k (after IMS replacement + repairs) on a 986 Boxster with ~100k miles on it. I have a dependable 2012 focus that I'm planning on keeping as my daily driver.

I'm definitely all in on this, but I'm just wondering, how much should I expect to spend on maintenance on this thing? How much will the car depreciate if I'm only driving it 5-10K miles/year?
I'm in the same phase of Boxster ownership. I have a 2008 S with a PPI appointment. Owners who posted above said they budget 2-3k annually for professional repairs and maintenance. Read somewhere somebody actually puts 3k a year in a piggy bank and then if the car doesn't need it all the money goes towards the next car. I wondered the same thing but after buying a Mustang GT 2 years ago I bought a Z4 and quickly realized just how much fun a roadster can be. Do your research. I chose 07-08 for very specific reasons.
I suggest rather than being too frugal figure out how much money you can afford to spend (without unrealistic resale expectations) and get the newest car you can comfortably afford. There is a big difference in what you will find between 10k and 20k. And buying a high mileage model may lead to higher costs and lower resale.
GL with the search.
scootr is offline   Reply With Quote