View Single Post
Old 07-27-2020, 02:50 PM   #49
10/10ths
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Peace....

....My point was only that LN lists a torque spec in their instructions.

The torque spec is there for a reason. The reason being that if you OVER torque their magnetic drain plug, the magnetic insert will “spin” inside the plug body and you will develop an oil leak.

That is why you SHOULD use a torque wrench EVERY time on the LN magnetic drain plug. The other issue is that their drain plug has a LOWER torque spec than the OEM drain plug.

So, you have a tool that can tell you exactly what the torque is. It just seems logical that you would want to ensure your car doesn’t develop an oil leak.

As far as the crush washer, well....yeah, you should use a new one every time. The idea is that they CRUSH upon use. So logically, you want one that has not been crushed when you replace it.

Crush washers are less than a dollar each. When you order an oil filter, order a dozen crush washers and you are set for years.

It’s really simple.

My point was that if you invested in a Porsche, invest a few bucks on crush washers and a torque wrench and keep her happy.

That was all.

The cost of ownership includes service.

It’s like guys who buy Mustangs and complain that the rear tires cost $200.

Buying a “cheap” old Boxster gets real expensive if you don’t properly maintain her.

That is what my “washers are cheap and engines are expensive” comment was all about.

Cheers, everyone.

Enjoy the drive.
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote