View Single Post
Old 07-25-2020, 05:41 AM   #7
blue62

Quote:
Originally Posted by -tWv- View Post
Still waiting for my BIL to send all the maintenance records but they put a ton of work into the car over the past few years and as far as I’m aware all parts were OEM. I don’t believe the codes were present prior to replacement, it was more of a preventative maintenance thing at that point but I’ll confirm.

The car has been driven a decent amount since the CEL came on with no major issues, but I’m not sure if the cam timing code was present initially. Definitely going to get the timing issue resolved first like you said and then start diagnosing everything else.

Is there any chance this could be a bad camshaft position sensor? Or does the code I have specifically relate to physical timing being off?
I am not familiar with your ICARSOFT scanner brand.
But OBDII was standardized in 1996 so you don't need priority brand scanners to read OBDII codes.
Checking the codes with another scanner to prove your cam timing codes and other codes would not hurt.
Especially if the software is in the more common "P" code format.

Yes there is a possibility that the cam position sensor could be bad.
But I don' like to just change parts without confirmation that they are bad.

What I would do is have the codes read with a scanner that uses the more common "P" code format. Because that is what "I" am familiar with.
So I would have more confidence in my diagnosis.
Then if I got the cam timing code again I would check the timing by aliening the manufactures timing marks for the crank and camshafts. That way I would have physical proof of correct or incorrect crankshaft and camshaft timing.

If all timing marks fell in spec. then I would be looking at things like the cam and crank position sensors.

Setting up the timing marks so you can check them is a little bit of work but I think the only cash outlay is for the plastic plugs that you have to remove to see the timing marks.
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote