View Single Post
Old 07-19-2020, 05:56 PM   #6
blue62

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Madmachinist View Post
So I'm still waiting on some parts so this weekend was a bust for trying to diagnose/fix anything intermix related. The day I posted this I pulled a sample out if the expansion tank and skimmed off what little bit of oil was in there. The coolant looks old but not terrible and none of the hoses look to be swollen or overly soft for being 20 years old. I have driven it everyday since back and forth to work and to run errands etc. The oil and coolant levels haven't changed and there seems to be no extra oil in the coolant only light swirls floating on the top and the oil dipstick still shows no signs of coolant contamination. Temps here have been in the 90's all week but the temp gauge always stayed between the 180 and next hash mark on the gauge (235?) even sitting in traffic. Also I haven't seen any white or black smoke from the exhaust. I guess none of that means the head is not cracked just trying to remain positive.
I have contacted the previous owner and if anything he is oblivious to the problem. To get the car ready to sell he had the oil changed, the plugs replaced, and a new top put on by the same local mechanic who he gave me the information for. He also gave me the contact information for the person he bought it from (I believe they both belong to the same car club which he urged me to join) so I don't get the feeling he is trying to get over on me.
I find the navigation thing interesting. The PCM and Nav unit are all Porsche parts and the car came with all the needed literature and extra map discs. Also it has the 662 option code listed on the sticker under the hood and in the maintenance booklet. Maybe it's a later year model? If the maps were up to date it would still work properly as the GPS still works.
Kinda the least of my worries right now though.
You could do a coolant system pressure test.
You can get a coolant system pressure testing kit at Harbor Freight at a reasonable price. Such a test should tell you if you have a cracked head adjacent to a coolant passage or not.

You could also test the coolant for the presence of hydrocarbons if present that would indicate a blow head gasket or cracked head adjacent to a coolant passage. the little tester for this used to be in most auto parts store.
Have not seen one in a few years but also wasn't looking for one.

Both mentioned tests are very simple and easy to do.

The coolant tank cap and the oil fill cap are very close to each other so there is a possibility that when the oil was changed the person changing the oil poured a small amount of oil into the coolant tank by mistake. Things happen.
I have come very close to doing this myself several times

Last edited by blue62; 07-19-2020 at 06:14 PM.
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote