View Single Post
Old 07-17-2020, 05:36 AM   #1
Htci

Gas Cap Tether Repair

Like many 986 Boxsters, my car’s original gas cap tether broke at some point and I lived with it by placing the cap near the wipers while filling up. Since I’m considering taking a long 30+ hour (round trip) road trip in the coming months I’m checking everything that could become a problem and the thought of losing my gas cap while being distracted crossed my mind so I started researching the topic. Most people just replace the gas cap (tether included) since it’s only $20, others used wire, and others lived with it. I began taking a closer look at the situation and with the help of forums easily removed the plastic rivet holding the tether to the body - just push in the center with a small punch. Having the cap, with small section of tether (2”), and the remaining length of tether on the workbench I tried “plastic welding” them and failed/gave up after seeing the two pieces had zero bonding/tackiness. Then, I remembered I had 1/8” heat shrink tubing for electronics. I cut a 3” piece, slid it over both pieces, heat shrunk, and now the two pieces are joined again! Simple fix and it seems to be holding well. I’d assume double layering or using a heavy duty heat shrink would extend the life of this repair.
Attached Images

Last edited by Htci; 07-17-2020 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Picture too large
Htci is offline   Reply With Quote