Old 06-30-2020, 06:28 PM   #13
tonythetiger
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orjanus View Post
I´m pretty sure this is it!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EBSqYA75ko
tie rods, inner and outer are easy and cheap to replace, IF you have the inner tie rod tool or can rent it, yeah? I found this tool worth the 100 bucks to buy it, even for one job. Cinching the boot on the inner rod to the rack is tedious also. I ended up using stainless tie wraps the first time because I didnt have this special 15 dollar tool to crimp the clamps provided. The tie wraps worked fine.
My experience with suspension is a clunk in the rear is drop links or the "tuning fork", which seem to wear out quicker than the main control arm and the camber adjustment link...in the rear.
In the front, the main control arm and the drop links are my culprit. The tuning fork and the tie rods are cheap enough that I just replace all of it, but as others have mentioned, this could be your strut mount (heat-related makes this less likely in my mind) or as I have experienced, the main control arm, the fat paddle on the bottom that the tuning fork ties to. Up front I found this part worn on two of my boxsters, and you cant tell until you replace it. Its also easy enough to figure out if the sway bar bushings are shot, so Ill leave that to your judgment.
good luck
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote