Thread: Oil & Water
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2020, 06:17 PM   #22
Racer Boy
Racer Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsguy View Post
I'm not polluting a Porsche with one of those boring things. I'd put a MB in there first. In fact, the 1.8T VW is a far better option, and will bolt to the gearbox, so that's a real possibility at some point.
You are limiting yourself there, buddy. Hondas make more power with much better reliability than our M96 engines. But if you want to be a snob, go right ahead!

I used to have an Accord (speaking of boring cars) that was a real sleeper, because it had the 240 HP 3.0 V6 and a 6-speed manual. That was a great engine, it had made of torque but had screaming top end as well. I used to hunt for 1.8 turbo Audis, because it would just kill them. I always thought the 3.0 Honda would be a good swap for a Boxster, easily modded to get more power than the 3.2 M96, more reliable, and probably a lot lighter.

I've seen a Miata track day car with the 3.0 Honda in it, and it was a rocket. He paid $600 for the engine, and with a tune, intake, and exhaust was making 300 HP. Same story with a MR2 with a Camry V6 at a track day. He paid $500 for the 3.0 V6, and was getting 300 HP. Either of those soul-less Japanese engines will last a lot longer than a M96 while making more power.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote