View Single Post
Old 10-20-2006, 06:32 PM   #7
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckstr
Some good points, and thanks. The engine definitely was not overheated as a direct result of the accident, because it was shut down immediately. Only after 6 weeks (!) at the body shop, when they needed to get the car across town, did they fire it up and drive it. It is inconceivable that, with front end damage, they never bothered to check the integrity of the radiator, but stupidity is everywhere. I seriously doubt whether the insurance company is going to be willing to pay any costs associated with the engine itself; their position certainly will be that any damage to the engine is a result of the shop's negligence in not checking out the cooling system.

I wonder if Porsche would give me full trade-in value on the vehicle knowing the history of the engine. If not, they would be admitting there is potential for engine damage.
Hi,

Why do you think there's a problem with the engine? Were you in the car when it was driven across town? The Idiot Light may never have come on or if it did, maybe for only part of the trip. I can't imagine any competent shop knowingly driving a car they knew was overheating.

But, as Sammy and I have said, you probably didn't incur any permanent or significant damage. If the car's running OK, let it go. Don't obsess over every little thing which may pop up in the future and try to draw a link between it and this incident, that'll only spoil your ownership experience needlessly. Good Luck...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote