Thread: Clutch Bleeding
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2020, 11:24 AM   #8
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
Getting ready to do this again (I’m waaaay overdue) and, as is typical, I often have questions along these lines.

1) In descriptions on this procedure I often read about people who are using the Motive pressure bleeder who still, correctly or incorrectly, seem to feel the need to pump the brakes at times. I think it’s been to get air out of the system, or to help remove any built-up grunge in the lines that’s compromising the flow of the fluid out of the bleeder valves. While apparently forcing the clutch down can be a bad idea, is pumping the brakes (while the system’s already under pressure) sometimes/ever a good thing to do?

2) So (from reading this thread, specifically clickman’s question) it’s okay to depress the clutch with the system already pressurized by the Motive, just don’t do it repeatedly? Would it make more sense to depress the clutch with the stick before pressurizing the system?

3) Using common sense—and having read recommendations both ways—I’m guessing it doesn’t make a helluva lot of difference which order (inside or outside) one does the bleeder nipples on the brake calipers. A fair statement?

Thanks in advance.
The purpose of the Motive pressure bleeding system is to make the process a one person job, so no one needs to pump the brakes. If you are using the Motive tool, it is totally unnecessary.

As I have always done these on a lift, I depress the cultch pedal with a tool designed to hold it to the floor before I put the car up in the air. When you are done, release the tool and pull up the pedal.

Which bleeder you use may not be critical, but I always do the one closest to the line into the caliper first, then the other one.