View Single Post
Old 06-10-2020, 08:30 AM   #27
maytag
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetiger View Post
They are listed at 6K/8K on spring rates with adjustable dampening, 1-32. I set them at 10 as this is a street car and 8 was recommended, so maybe a little stiffer. I set ride height 1/2 inch lower, pretty close to stock. Intentions were to replace my struts, because the original had 100K, 20 years and after removing them, its clear they were done. A Bilstein setup was easy enough, probably superior but would have been 1000 dollars more, so I went with Yellowspeed based on price. I also had some feedback from local guys that run tuned japanese street cars. Noone had anything bad to say.
My car would roll and pitch when I drove spirited and I am hopeful this flattens things out a bit. As good as the car handled with stock units, I cannot imagine what the future holds but I haven't driven the car yet since I am also replacing most of the plastic and the wheel wells. What did you use?
I eventually went with the Ohlins, with a track spring/valve setup. I'm not sure what the 6k/8k means, because it doesn't seem to relate to what I'm accustomed to seeing for spring rates (But I'm not the pro). My springs are a 450/550 spring, with custom valving to match. (also adjustable)

there's a measurement that people use to set ride-height, based on the Porsche method. I'll attach an image. SPB rules say 90mm is the lowest you can go, but ALL of the racers will tell you that's too low, because once you get too low you get to the point where the LCA moves past horizontal and then you start to give-up camber (and everything goes out the window).

As a starting point, I set mine at 125mm front, 131mm rear (with 18" wheels). My setup guys said it was "pretty close". but of course some of this gets adjusted as further as they do your corner balance.

Looking forward to hearing how they ride!

maytag is offline   Reply With Quote