View Single Post
Old 06-09-2020, 11:26 AM   #1
willurd

new 986 owner and new to here! ICE question

Hi All,

So this Sat just gone, I got my hands on my very first Boxster 986, 2004, in silver. What a bit of kit.

As far as the build spec is concerned, apart from the wheels, it's pretty much basic factory spec(i think!), which for me is pretty much fine. However, I need to figure out a better in-car entertainment system, as the Alpine head unit isn't iPhone compatible and the single dash drivers are... well next to rubbish.

Now, i'm sure this forum is rife with resources on this topic, so I might just need to be directed to them. Either way i'd like to run past you folk what I had in mind and whether you think it is suitable, or if there is some better solutions out there.

Just a bit of heads up. I'm not looking for anything massively loud and base heavy, just a well rounded, quality sound. Also please bear in mind, although pretty good with my hands- im definitely not super clued up and technically minded.

As far as headunits are concerned I was thinking something along the lines of the below, for the simple reason of it's power output(so not requiring a pre-amp) and BT compatibility:
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/in-car-receivers-players/dsx-gs80

I dont have door, nor parcel shelf speakers or mounts. Having done a little research, retrospectively fitting/wiring door speakers are not worth the effort. From what I have gathered people are suggested to opt for installing drivers into rear-mounted shelf- again something I don't have, no keen to spend the money. Does anyone know if I could get away with using pods/enclosures, such as the below:

As long as I can get something to fit I feel it could be the simplest, cost-effective solution to fit myself using 2x 6x9's?

As far as the dash speakers are concerned, I guess there is an abundance of offerings. Any recommended suggestions?

Any help or pointers would be massively appreciated.

Will, London!
willurd is offline   Reply With Quote