View Single Post
Old 05-24-2020, 11:46 AM   #12
maytag
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyporsche View Post

so the mechanic at my dealership got the car to start and now it sounds like the lifters are also toast, he quickly shut it down and we are going to move forward with examining the plugs and changing the aos
Lifter failure?
That's odd, to say the least. Sometimes "a lifter" will fail. But for multiple lifters to fail simultaneously? That's odd. Really odd.

So in my mind I'm considering all of the scenarios I can think of that would result in that diagnosis.
If multiple lifters are bad, this suggests an oil pressure problem. So what might cause white smoke AND oil pressure issues? I'm struggling to come up with something plausible.

What I think IS unfortunately plausible, is that your mechanic suspects lifter failure because he did a compression check. However, the same symptoms could point to broken-bits, which is more consistent with the rest of your symptoms. ie: aos fails, motor ingests liquid oil and hydra-locks. This creates the "will only turn a 1/4 turn", assumption, and that 1/4 turn was enough to break hard parts.

I dunno.... I'm reaching here.

I sure want to know more about what he finds.

It's POSSIBLE that the white smoke and now 1/4 turn only are unrelated. ?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Last edited by maytag; 05-24-2020 at 07:37 PM.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote