View Single Post
Old 05-21-2020, 11:45 AM   #4
Starter986
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Update. No bueno.

OK. My memory has been refreshed. Hopefully these additional details help. And, thank you to anyone that's been reading, for tolerating all the sordid details. If it's one thing I've learned about this car... our cars... is that the details matter. I'm finding, in this event, that my memory isn't what it used to be. The details come... but in bits and pieces, and sooner or later (later, usually). I chalk it up to age, or the vape. Anyhow...

The first fill. 3.5 quarts. Dribble. Car started... tranny warmed... and I do recall running it through the gears. R. N. D. ~10 seconds each... watched the wheels spin... put it in park.

Here's where my memory is refreshed...

I return to the transmission pan... and start pumping in the other 1.5 quarts (remember, I dropped 5.2 quarts). As I get to the end of quart five there's like a gush of transmission fluid coming from the fill hole. It was almost a rush of fluid and, frantically, I positioned the fill plug back into position. Not before, I'm thinking, .2 quarts came out.

It was after that I returned to the cab... and so on until this morning.

So... my pal came over... got under the car... he heard the clicking, but could identify from where it was coming. Anyhow... car running... foot on brake... the clicking. So... I put it into gear... the clicking stops... and the driver side rear wheel is spinning. Likewise the passenger side. Pal grabs onto driver side tire while engine is at idle, tire spinning. Tire stops. Lets go and it just hangs there, not moving. Give it some gas... stats spinning. Tries to stop it, and does so. He then holds onto the tire tightly while I give it some gas... and he loses his grip. There's no clicking going on while it's in gear. When I put my foot on the brake, in gear R... clicking. Release brake... clicking goes away. Put it in drive. Same thing. No clicking in gear. Click with brake on. When I put it into manual. Brake on or off... clicking.

Guys... I'm looking for advice on what should be the next move. I'm suspecting a failed TC seal... which might explain 1. Why the initial drain yielded 5.2 quarts and, 2. the tranny took a dump a the last of the fifth quart. I don't associate the "dump" with the last drop of the fifth quart going in. It could have happened at quart 4. 4.3. 4.5. It just happened when it happened.

I've got to reinstall the under-parts... aluminum panel... bars... sway bar... and then drop the car. However, before I drop it I'd be most appreciative of some guidance... instruction. My inclination is to drop the car... and drive it forward and reverse in my driveway (HOA). That way, if it's something catastrophic, I'm right here.

I welcome any inquiries. Thank you, fellas, for your consideration.