View Single Post
Old 05-16-2020, 01:49 AM   #5710
Traco

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
Nice work, Traco. As long as the surface feels smooth when you drag your fingers over it you should be good. For future reference, don't use sandpaper or steel wool on aluminum mating surfaces. It's too easy to wear it down unevenly and you won't have a true flat surface. I use Scotch-Brite and brake cleaner.
Cheers Piper. I did scrub it with a green scotch pad and cleaner. There was the odd build up that I hit lightly with the steel wool then wet and dry lightly. I was afarid to go too hard as you mentioned that's why I was wondering how clean it needs to be.

Should I attempt to clean the ports and if so how or would I be asking for trouble there for little or no benefit?

Also any thoughts on reassembly with ceramic grease. Rated for 1500C and I've seen it mentioned on aircraft assemblies. As it's non conductive it might reduce the galvanic corrosion between the steel and aluminium. If I keep an eye on the bolts for torque at each oil change it might be an interesting experiment for a few years down the road??
2003 Boxster S, Seal Grey
Traco is offline   Reply With Quote