View Single Post
Old 10-19-2006, 05:56 AM   #8
drburton

I had some existing damage to a wheel when I purchased my car, looked like an acidic liquid was splashed on the wheel and ate through the paint in spots. I used the technique described by this link to sand and repaint the wheel. My results weren't really what I wanted.

First I will say the paint matches perfectly, so that went great. The problem I had (I'm sure this is user error) was when it was complete the paint and clear coat had more of a textured feel to it than the rest of the wheel - didn't go on smooth. This could be from me not holding the can at proper distance, I'm not sure. So I could live with that b/c it wasn't noticeable unless you rubbed your fingers on the wheel.

Then the next time I washed the car, the brake dust won't come off the newly painted spots. So now it kinda looks like crap. I haven't gotten around to sanding it down and trying again. I'm considering just buying a new wheel or whole new set of wheels (now I have an excuse to get those Champion wheels I want).

Does anyone know what would cause this?

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote