View Single Post
Old 05-12-2020, 03:28 PM   #7
911monty

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdaddy View Post

Based on what 911monty shared, it sounds like the inside of the hollow seal should be filled with grease(bearing?). Doesn't mention the inside surface which seals the shaft and sits on the shaft surface that is spinning. Gilles recommends clean (trans) oil on this surface which makes sense to me but the manual shared by 911monty doesn't mention it.
I thought that was pretty clear, but let's try this. The output shaft seal is driven into the transaxle housing dry 5.5 mm below the surface. The 2 lips of the seal that contact the output flange shaft get grease in the small void between the inner(seal) and the outer (dust) lips that are in contact with the axle hub shaft. This provides lubrication as the hub is driven into the transaxle and I believe creates a dam that helps prevent the abrasive clutch friction disk dust from getting to the inner seal lip. I lightly coated the hub shaft with gear oil before driving it on the output shaft.
The input shaft seal (towards the flywheel) gets greased the same (that's the same as 17 remark). On the diagram 17 is the input shaft seal and 25 is the output shaft seal.
Hopefully this will clear up the confusion.

Last edited by 911monty; 05-12-2020 at 03:49 PM.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote