View Single Post
Old 05-10-2020, 08:30 AM   #38
Oldcarguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcarguy View Post
Update - the 3M 950-300 transfer tape with adhesive promoter on the covers only started to fail under headlight / moderate sun heat. To be fair, this use of that particular xfer tape was at the limits of its specification. I’ve ordered some 3M F9469PC VHB xfer tape which uses the high performance 3M 100MP acrylic adhesive which has a much broader operating temperature range.

I’m going try the new adhesive without adhesive promoter on the lenses because I want to avoid permanent lens damage. It does not look as if I’m going to be able to remove the 300LSE adhesive from the covers. Hopefully it will bond to the 9469 ok. I’ll run some tests before I remount the covers.

I’ll post an update here as soon as I have additional info.
Ok, I didn’t like the adhesion characteristics of the 9469 so I decided to quit shooting in the dark and downloaded the 3M Industrial Adhesives and Tape Guide. I settled on 9485PC 5 mil (.13mm, .005in) thick transfer tape for its high temperature and high adhesion ratings for both LSE and HSE plastics / polys. Mounted using 3M adhesion promoter on the lens edges and around the oblong headlight edge (carefully applied, this stuff can distort some materials). Don’t get it on paint or any lens surface that will remain exposed!

So far, so good. I don’t think I could remove the covers without damaging them (at least in the NE moderate summer climate, YMMV), so this is a ‘be sure you really want to before you do it’ kind of thing. Also, this stuff is high tack so no repositioning - practice placement a lot before you commit.
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 05-10-2020 at 08:34 AM.
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote