View Single Post
Old 05-07-2020, 10:42 PM   #119
Homeoboxter

Garage
The everlasting Boxster project continues. I uncovered the car just to make sure it`s still there. It is. Been resting here for about 1.5 year. It doesn`t look bad from a bird`s point of view:

Back to the engine. New crankcase seals.

Upper half is coming to mate with lower half.

Mating surfaces are thoroughly cleaned and a small bead of Loctite 5900 is applied in a pattern described in the shop manual.

Speaking of which, he shop manual makes a big deal about alignig the cases using this aligning mandrel.

This is how it looks in real life, i borrowed this picture from ebay. It`s listed only for $4000. Used. I think I`ll pass on this for now.

Instead, I just used the oil pump housing to align the cases and it worked. I inserted it in the engine case, tightened the bolts around the IMS bearing bore, removed it, then tightened down all the bolts in the correct sequence. The screwdriver is to lift the IMS for positioning. It also helps a lot if you place the rear IMS bearing flange in, otherwise the whole assembly gets jammed, so you really need to take your time with this step. But you also have to be quick, because the Loctite is curing...

This is the bore where the oil pump housing with the front IMS bearing fits in. The IMS is right in the hole. It`s a super snug fit, and the slightest misalignment will make it impossible to slide the oil pump housing on. Don`t ask how I know...

Finally the case halves are joined, sealed and the bolts are tightened, ready for pistons 4-5-6.

Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote