View Single Post
Old 05-02-2020, 11:24 AM   #3
geekdaddy

Spent considerable time cleaning up the trans, rear of engine, and started working on the exhaust. Getting ready to pull the IMS. I ended up selecting the EPS roller bearing solution and purchased it from Vertex. I asked if they would also loan me the tools (normally $75 to rent) and they said yes!

To clean the transmission and rear of engine, I stuffed rags into the intake areas (on the engine), used the degreaser that's "plastic/rubber friendly" used a stiff plastic brush on the heavy areas, and then power washed with a lower intensity electric washer. Bell housing looks much better now!

Cleaned below and behind the engine. Actually power-washed from inside the garage and squeegeed all the crud off the floor. Wiped everything down and put a fan on it overnight. Rear of engine is much better now for working on the IMS/RMS. Here is a pic of the EPS bearing kit and removal tools I received.

I used the tool to lock the crankshaft at TDC via the aux belt pulley. Then popped the camshaft covers to inspect them and locked one set of them down. Mine is a 5 chain motor so I understand it's only necessary to lock one of the cams. This one is to the left of the flywheel.

Making progress on the midpipes. The nuts and bolts could possibly have been reused but had a fair amt of rust so I pressed out the bolts with a rented (for freeeee) tie rod press and will replace them with new HW. Have since removed the O2 sensors since (duh) it's a lot easier to work on the pipes and less likely to damage the sensors while cleaning. On the stainless exhaust parts, mine had only minor corrosion and crud so I used a magnesium wheel cleaner that has degreaser and some mild acid. Seems to be working well.
geekdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote