View Single Post
Old 10-18-2006, 11:24 AM   #11
racer_troy

Hey Bob...

...you have a great situation for an awesome used 986....I may be able to give perspective on a few issues...

1. I've been told the M96 engine design (water cooling, cast liners) is good for over 200k...i'm still testing this theory with 75K on my MY2000 with no issues

2. There is an updated RMS seal...likely it's already in the car as you stated your brother had the fix done a year ago...one of the flaws of the M96 engine design was it's reliance on the main shaft carrying the weight of the clutch/tranny anytime the shaft/bearing is not concentric (read: vibration)

3. Make sure you clean your drain holes in addition to following the maintenance schedule...personally, i cut the increment to oil changes in 1/2 - 1/3 depending on how i'm driving during that time

4. The porus block issue was over by MY2000 and likely most MY99. There was a casting flaw defect in some of the early 2.5L motors that would cause a cylinder/piston to fail (3rd i believe but can't recall for sure). Porsche stepped up to the plate and either: 1. repaired your motor by boring and sleeving, or 2. gave you a new motor. It is possible with a MY00 3.2L, but not very likely.

* You should drive this vehicle some more...put down your deposite as was suggested (if necessary) and then just drive...say for a week...and then see if you can part with it...

* Maybe it's just me, but 4-5K for a rebuild seems relatively cheep but I could be in the dark...what does a rebuild usually run if you don't mind me asking?

Hope this helps,

--ts
racer_troy is offline   Reply With Quote