View Single Post
Old 04-22-2020, 03:38 PM   #11
jaykay

Dave,

Thanks very much for this. How very fortunate that you have the same model year. I ran a check and it seems that I have made the same connections as you have with the except of the brown blue (pin 21) on the white connector. There are two brown blue wires. I am not sure which one is at pin 8 as shown on the EWD for up indication and which one is 21. Can you remember how they are numbered? I have tried them both but no solid indication with spoiler up. The picture has very few leads coming from the bundle to the switch as compared to what is required. Strange.

I am wondering if I am not getting an indication due to: spoiler drive problem that is not seen as a malfunction; I am not getting ground as I have other items apart in the car or there; or the car needs to be moving and reset, to see a solid up indication.

I was able to test the arrangement outside the car with 12 VDC (your yellow wire) and O VDC on your brown wire and got the LED lit solid. So it is not a switch LED problem.

I have to admit I am stumped at present.

>>I really like your gauge solution and single din plate. Are those white faced VDOs? They look like a great match with rest of the Boxster S stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave80GTSi View Post
OK, I've rummaged around in the garage and have found the instructions and my hand written notes on this install.

You are in luck - mine is a 2K S (see signature below) also, so all of the colors noted below should exactly match to your similar model / year.

The colors of the three connectors for the backside of the instrument cluster on our earlier models are Blue - White - Black. (Only as an aside, the instructions note that the 2001 and later model years use different colors - Grey - Blue - Green).

The Green wire from the spoiler indicator goes to the Black/White and to the White/Green slots of the Blue connector. I have written the numbers 25 and 12 in my notes.

The Yellow wire from the spoiler indicator goes to the Orange slot of the Black connector. My notes: No. 1.

The White wire from the spoiler indicator goes to the Brown/Blue slot of the Black connector. My notes: No. 21.

The Brown wire from the spoiler indicator goes to the Grey/Brown slot of the White connector. My notes: No. 9.

That's all that I got.

Obviously, if you do not own the same model of spoiler indicator as I do, the wire color references above keyed to that item may not be meaningful to you. But at the least, the slots in the three instrument connectors will give you a clue as to which signals are relevant.

The spoiler indicator LED light remains off as long as the spoiler is down. During either up or down motion, the LED indicator blinks (which is very handy, as you'll catch it out of the corner of your eye). And as long as the spoiler is up, the LED indicator is steadily lit.

As an additional fun feature, if you set your OBD speed warning chime to 75 mph, then once you have reached that speed, the chime goes off and the LED blinks. So you then have both auditory and visual spoiler motion indications!

-----

The steering wheel is well worth the money that I paid for it. The flat bottom provides some very welcome thigh clearance for the 99% of the time that the car is driven in a generally straight line. Further details and info on it can be found in this thread:

Is an upgrade to this type of steering wheel possible?

The first picture below is of the spoiler indicator itself, bought on eBay couple of years ago (the picture was copied from his ad). The second picture is a closer detail of the end result (I do not know why it is rotated? I do not see a way to change it).

Enjoy - DM

Last edited by jaykay; 04-22-2020 at 03:41 PM.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote