View Single Post
Old 04-20-2020, 07:28 PM   #8
jaykay

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
For everyone's reference:

The OP is referring to the wiring diagram in the Bently manual on Page EWD-29 that shows a signal called "Indicator Spoiler Extend" at Pin 9 of the white instrument cluster connector. Pin 26 is called "Indicator Spoiler Retract".

Both signals are derived from the "Drive Spoiler" unit which the OP believes is the drive motor.

As such, the question is: Does anyone know if the Indicator Spoiler Extend signal that is sent from the spoiler motor to the gauge cluster is on high or off high?

I don't know the answer to this question.

Thus, I would suggest that the OP could monitor Pin 9 with a voltmeter and then manually extend the spoiler to see if Pin 9 is energized when the spoiler is up or if Pin 9 is energized when the spoiler is down. This information should tell you if the Pin 9 indicator signal actually works as a spoiler position indicator and if so, how to wire an LED to properly signal the state of the spoiler.
Tom,

Thanks for adding the background details that I didn't! Your idea and straight forward logic is awesome; thanks very much. Well thought out.

Trouble is access when buttoned up for operation, precludes such testing; but you got me thinking....Is there such a thing as a small scale inductive clamp that would allow me to pick of signals further down the harness. There must be and I am just not aware of this basic tool. Trouble is there are a multitude of wires bundled together that could interfere inductively.

If you have had the cluster off and have seen the cam lock connectors you know where I am coming from.

Perhaps there is no problem turning the ignition on running the spoiler up and down with the white connector (plug II on the EWD) disconnected and finding the signal for up. One could probe the open end of the connector...but there is no way for me to tell that I may fry something!