View Single Post
Old 04-18-2020, 09:45 AM   #709
Qmulus
inveniam viam aut faciam

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxxster View Post
Has anyone compared this shifter with the OEM 997 unit? Thinking of putting one of these into a cheap 986/996 console and selling my 997 console, but not sure if it's worthwhile?
Personally, I have had both one of these short shifters and the 997 shifter in my car. I like the precision of these, but I didn't not like the increased effort and felt that it was actually a bit too short for my tastes. I found myself taking more time to shift as I really think to make sure I was going into the right gear. The very noticeable increased effort also tweaked the torn rotator cuff in my shoulder when I pulled the shifter over into reverse.

To me, the reduction in throw from the 997 and slight increase of effort was the "Goldilocks" shifter for me. No, it isn't as precise as the aftermarket shifters, but it just felt "right", if that makes sense. I talked with a race driver friend of mine who uses the the 997 Cup car shifters (same geometry as the regular 997 shifter, but has a different attachement to the lever) in his Boxster endurance racers and 996 Cup Cars that he drives. He also felt that the aftermarket shifters were a bit too short for his preference. That said other drivers swear by the short shifters. Sooo, in the end it is personal preference.

I think the perfect shifter for me would have the geometry of the 997 shifter, with bearings to take out the slight bit of slop.