View Single Post
Old 10-18-2006, 07:43 AM   #20
Sammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Randall,

I honestly don't know. Like Grizzly said (Happy B'day BTW), make sure you're looking at it fully loaded on the ground. Have you considered things like Driver/Passenger weight, Full Fuel Tank and their possible effect?

Some suspension systems may have that much motion in them while others do not. I never checked it on the Boxster, so I can only recommend that you take it for a test drive and see. To make it easier to determine, I'd apply some chalk or bright Crayon to any parts you suspect may rub. After the test drive, check to see if any of it was rubbed off. 3-4mm is a fairly healthy clearance and I suspect you'll be OK. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
Jim has a great idea here with checking for clearance. I am going to throw in my $0.02 and say that instead of using chalk or Crayon go buy some clay from somewhere and put it on the parts you're worried about rubbing. In one of my previous lives we used clay for various clearance issues particularly with fender wells when the car is in full jounce. After running the car at max handling we were able to measure actual clearance. If the clearance was less than 5mm (rule of thumb and not some magical calculation) we would make adjustments.

BTW - If you do go this route make sure you clean the surface first as the clay was a little tricky.
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote