Thread: AutoTop DIY
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2020, 07:33 AM   #141
Toddyus

I was looking into buying the commercial version of this, but it now costs $500. Found this thread and wanted to say thanks to Polaris and all the contributors over the years. This is an excellent mod and works great!

Since not everyone who wants one of these is an electronics wiz, one tip I thought I’d throw out there that might help someone in the future:
I bought a clone Arduino Nano V3 with header pins already soldered. To wire everything up, I used breadboard jumper wires (female to female), like these: https://www.amazon.com/GenBasic-Piece-Female-Jumper-Wires/dp/B01L5ULRUA/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=breadboard+jumper+female+to+female&qid=1586186495&sr=8-3

The DuPont connectors plug directly onto the pins of the board, but for the connection to the car harness and switch, the bare wire is too high of a gauge to securely crimp to the spade connectors. So instead of stripping the wire for the spade connector, I removed the DuPont housing. The crimped DuPont receiver inside the housing fits securely into a red (18-22ga) spade connector and crimps well.

Then, for the transistors, you can plug those directly into the breadboard wires, put some heat shrink on the transistor and wires and that secures them.

Finally, I soldered the resistors into the corresponding wires rather than directly to the board. The spacing for the pins on the board is just too close for my cludgy soldering abilities.
Toddyus is offline   Reply With Quote