View Single Post
Old 04-02-2020, 06:50 AM   #11
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcramer View Post
I know from experience that PCNA are very stingy with historical data. The problem, as I understand it, is due to privacy concerns and protecting previous owners anonymity. With out the prior owners permission, it won't be released. As for the notion they don't have 'documentation that far back' that is just plain horse feathers.

I agree with previous posts. Porsche would never use anything but OEM parts on a warranty repair. Without proper documentation, assume it didn't happen. Adjust your offer accordingly.
Several years back, there was a legal case the ballooned into a class action over who actually owns and should have access to vehicle records. Basically, the outcome was that the records are the property of the vehicle owner at the time they were recorded, which means that a dealer can legitimately be taken to court for sharing the information, even after the vehicle has changed hands. That has made most dealers totally gun-shy of sharing information.

Our legal advisors require us to get written permission before we share any data, which is often difficult as people move and you cannot find them to obtain permission. Net result is that it has become easier to just say no than spend the time for which you are not going to get paid.