View Single Post
Old 10-17-2006, 08:49 PM   #1
BoxsterBob

Opinions on 2000 Boxster S?

Hi guys,

I'm brand new to the forum, but note that this forum seems both informative and well-run.

My brother has offered to sell me his near-mint 2000 Boxster S in silver/black. It has about 26K miles.

It has the hard top, leather, etc.

I helped him pick it up when it was about 1 year old and still under warrantee. He has cared for it meticulously, and it has been a garage queen the whole time. Never out in rain, etc.

I currently own a '95 Mazda RX7 that I have owned since it was new. I have enjoyed the speed of the RX7, and the razor-sharp handling. I admit, I have been very disappointed in the build quality and lack of reliability of the RX7, as it suffers from issues like the engine bay running very hot, to the point of cracking plastic pieces and making vacuum hoses brittle. The turbo is prematurely aged because of an intake leak that cooked the turbo and ruined the catalytic converters. The plastic pieces inside the cockpit are breaking off. It does run quite well when it is operational though.

I'm tempted to buy the S from him as it would be my first ragtop, and I know he has taken very good care of it - all maintenance done on-time, all items that need fixing repaired. I believe he had the RMS done last year under extended warrantee.

I've read quite a few of the posts here and I wanted to ask your opinion - would this be a good move? My goals are a high fun factor and good reliability. I would be selling the RX7 to finance this. I have driven the S, and it is not as super-fast as my RX, but it does handle extremely well.

I know this is a Boxster forum, but you chaps seem to have pretty mature, fairly objective opinions, not simply a rah-rah club for all things Boxster.

What would you advise? I've read many of the newbie informative posts. BTW, what is MAF?

Sincerely,

Rob

Last edited by BoxsterBob; 10-17-2006 at 08:52 PM.
BoxsterBob is offline   Reply With Quote