View Single Post
Old 03-30-2020, 09:55 AM   #8
maytag
Who's askin'?

Where's Kram when we need him? He's got more opinions about spark plugs than anyone else on the forum, I think.

Unless you're building a higher-performance package than what Porsche did, then I don't know why you'd feel like straying far from what Porsche selected. Some of us have brand / type preferences and loyalties, but that's all they are; personal preferences.

Now, if you're planning to increase cylinder pressures, then you may want to look at a better plug. JFP is right on the money about the Iridium plugs.
Multi-electrode plugs are usually reserved for people with increased cylinder pressure who are too lazy to index their plugs. (that's just my opinion, of course... ;-) )

Same sort of thinking goes for the oil; are you doing something with the motor that Porsche didn't intend when they selected an oil specification? Revving it higher / more-frequently? If the answer is no, then stick to what your owners' manual says. If the answer is yes, then you've opened pandora's box. Many people will tell you their snake-oil is best. Some will even tell you that theirs is developed specifically for your engine, yet you go to their website and it says nothing at all about your engine, specifically, but rather generalities that encompass your engine; same as every other oil manufacturer.
If you're racing, look for what the longtime racers use. (But find racers who aren't selling anything... guys making racing into a business all have some sort of skin in the game, even if they don't sell oil).

I'm a fan of "boutique" oils; RedLine, Royal Purple, you get the idea. "Driven" would fall into that category, but I have zero experience with their product.

I track mine a lot, and after many, many conversations and hours of reading, and in spite of my affinity for boutique oils, I use Castrol Edge in the Boxster. I change it regularly so its always fresh and clean. And I've modified the sump to try to ensure there's always oil at the pickup. Those last two items are worth MUCH more than what brand you use. MUCH, MUCH more.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote