View Single Post
Old 10-17-2006, 07:14 PM   #18
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Congrats!

I was going to make the Air Force a career (ROTC) but in 1969 my draft number was 324 and a lot of my classmates were just back from Vietnam (GI Bill) and told me I was crazy.

I did go on to get a private license and an instrument rating and bought a Piper, but I envy your flight experience, since I've always wanted to push the throttles on a fighter!!! I have shot approaches several times at Patuxent.... My brother is stationed at Mountain Home (a lifer).

But I still doubt that the Boxster would need to have 100 more hp than a 996 to have the same drag limited top speed.

Hi,

I hear ya, my Draft Number came up #12! So I ran to the NROTC Office, raised my right hand, and signed up (I had been in JrROTC in HS) as a Naval Flight Officer. This allowed me to complete school before reporting, but my intention had always been NAVY AIR.

Then, I passed the Flight Exams (got my Private License at 17) and was off to NAS Pensacola for Basic Flight Training (T-34C Turbomentor). Then to NAS Beeville,TX for Advanced Jet Training (AF-9F). Luckily, I graduated high enough to get a coveted 'fleet seat' and was off to NAS Miramar.

RAG (Replacement Air Group) VF-121 for training and certification in the F-4 PhantomII, this included Air-to-Air (NAS Miramar), Gunnery (NAWS China Lake), then back to Miramar for Seaquals.

Finally, I was assigned to VF-142, the "Ghostriders", on the USS Midway and did 8 WestPacs, mostly MigCap, ResCap, but also some IronHand. Two tours on Yankee Station (Gulf of Tonkin) and one on Dixie Station (Mekong River Delta - South China Sea). Got my 3,000 Flight Hours and shot at a few times.

Then Graduate School and off to Pax River for Test Pilot School and 3 years in the Navy Flight Test Center flying nearly everything in the inventory - F-8, A-4, F-4, F-14, F/A-18, F-16 (yes, this was originally spec'd for the Navy and still carries it's Tailhook today). It was fun - I got to fly REALLY fast airplanes and spend copius amounts of the Taxpayer's Money - for Pay!...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 10-17-2006 at 09:33 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote