View Single Post
Old 03-29-2020, 05:08 AM   #19
Starter986
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Maytag... seriously. Contortions.

Piper... I didn't even go looking for any fuse or panel... didn't want to ruin the good mojo fromn finding the dash light up.

The good news... got everything buttoned back up... hit the ignition... she fired right up. I should have known... or suspected... that something was amiss when I attached the ground to the starter positive post. I had the pliers and was twisting the ground wire so that the piece on the end, with the hole, would slide on the post. So much so that when I figured out my eff-up... the wire lost it's shape to nicely meet that bottom bolt... coming in fron the front engine cover.

What I ended up having to do was remove completely the ground wire then struggling to "re-shape" it so that I could push the starter bottom bolt through it and into the starter bottom bolt hole.

That. Was. A Pain. In. The. Ass.

Leaning over the passenger side of the car with one arm carefully pushing and manipulating the socket and extension while the other arm tried to maneuver the ground wire hole so that the bolt would fit through. That took a half hour plus of trial and error. When finally the bolt met the ground wire hole it took another half hour of trying to get that combination to align with the starter botton bolt hole. I must have had that wire and bolt in and out of the engine area 30 times... carefully pulling it from under... and then moving it back into position amid the small myriad of wires and hoses... each time reshaping the heavy duty wire so that the bolt would enter the starter hole. I used some "sticky"... and tape... to hold the bolt onto that ground wire hole. I'm certain my neighbors heard me talking to myself.

Finally... the bolt met the hole and that's when my patience REALLY kicked in. Through the front engine I got the bolt to "stick" and snugged her up.

Thank you, again, fellas for being there with ideas, guidance, and direction. This forum really serves as a "neighborhood". A neighborhood filled with 986 enthusiasts.

Have a great day!