View Single Post
Old 03-28-2020, 07:46 AM   #16
maytag
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxxster View Post
Have you ever driven a new(er) car with a sport button? You know how when you press the sport button (depending on the car) the throttle mapping is changed so the gas pedal feels more sensitive and responsive (i.e reduced throw and input delay)? The sprint booster is basically the same thing. No, the car is not faster, but it does feel more responsive. But it's really something you have to try for yourself to understand. Like I said, I really enjoyed it for rev matching and spirited driving. Would I pay full price for one? Probably not, especially given the current USD/CAD exchange rate. But for what I paid for mine, it was definitely one of my favourite mods I did to that car. It's also worth noting that it's not an on/off switch; it comes programmed with a bunch of different maps so there are many points of adjustment between the most sensitive/responsive setting and the least.

To put it in a bike related perspective, its like one of those aftermarket throttles that changes the amount of twist required to fully open the throttle. Now imagine if you could adjust the sensitivity and required amount of twist with a push of a button, on the fly, to your liking.
Well let's be clear, though: a "newer car with a sports mode" doesn't change the mapping so the "gas pedal feels more responsive". It changes the mapping so there's actually more power available to the driver (with exceptions, see below). Equally important it changes things like transmission shift points, suspension settings, steering ratios, etc. etc.

There are exceptions to what I've described. There are a few cars who've added a sports mode as a gimmick which does precisely as you've described. And to those manufacturers, I've also asked the question: why?

A simple answer can be "cuz it's different and I like different". I'd fully support that. I've made all sorts of non-sensical mods to cars, over the years. I currently have SOUL exhaust bypass valves on my 986. They really do nothing for power compared to the de-catted, cheap mufflered exhaust that they're attached to. But they sound bad-ass, and they're a fun gimmick, so I keep them.

Your car, and you get to modify it however you like. I LOVE that. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something. Once compared to a quick- turn throttle on a bike, well, then I know it's counter- productive for my own purposes. But my purposes are clearly different. ;-)

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote