View Single Post
Old 03-17-2020, 05:54 PM   #2
mikefocke

My answer...

is neither.

My background. Owned a '99 and wrecked it and bought a '01S and drove it for maybe 6 years and sold it. Both wonderful cars.

You can read about the year to year changes to Boxsters here.

But I'd buy neither. I'd go looking for a car that an enthusiast owned and maintained and had records of a lot of those things you listed as already done.

And even before I did that I'd find a great mechanic I wanted to work with on the big things and ask them if they knew of a car that was such a car.

Boxsters are often a car for a certain time in a car nuts life. In my example, I had 3 sports cars before marriage. Two after the kids were out of school, the house paid off and retirement clearly secured.

Both of my Boxsters were two owners before me. In both cases I knew and verified the seller's reason for selling .. needed room in the garage for a Hummer and needed a car that could take clients for a new job.

My second Boxster I had a great mechanic do the PPI and I knew going in I wanted a 90k service, new tires, and alignment and a complete brake job. I sold it after it was 10 years old (garage space and lack of use as I no longer commuted) and it was on an original AOS and water pump. Not that they couldn't have gone at any moment. In 6 years I replaced the battery and put on a set of tires.

The guy who bought it from me said he bought it because I wouldn't let him even drive it until he had a 20 minute briefing on its condition. I had another buyer begging for the car. Enthusiast owned cars are out there. Find a mechanic and have him help you find one.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote