View Single Post
Old 03-13-2020, 05:02 AM   #2
piper6909

Quote:
Originally Posted by flouese View Post
Over the last several weeks, I've had difficulty putting my key in the ignition. After several tries, it goes in. Yesterday, while backing out of my driveway, my AC cut out. I stopped, pulled the key out to check what happened. When I removed the key, none of the lights on my dash shut off and the radio wouldn't turn off and when I opened my door the chimes went off. After 5 minutes, no change. Put the key back in tried to move it farther to the left, but it felt "mushy" and no change in status with anything turning off. I ultimately disconnected the battery. After reading the forum and 101 Projects, it appears my problems are with the ignition switch.

Is this a correct diagnosis?

Now for the really stupid question: If I replace the ignition switch, will my current key still work or do I need to get a new key cut? Please advise.

Thanks,

Fred in N.E. Florida
Hey Fred. It sure sounds like the ignition switch. Luckily, it's a cheap part and if you're nimble enough (to get under the dash) it's an easy DIY. There are plenty of posts in here on how to do it.

The other good news is that the switch is only the electrical part, not the tumblers.
So you can continue to use your key.

P.S. There's an original version and an updated version. Make sure you get the right one. Search this forum. You'll find a lot of good info.

Last edited by piper6909; 03-13-2020 at 05:04 AM.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote