View Single Post
Old 03-11-2020, 08:51 PM   #1
MikeMcMo

Garage
Mystery frunk release in headlight well

My frunk release on my '99 base has been slightly problematic for the 3 years I've had it. I pull the lever by the seat and it makes the proper click noise and feels right, and releases the frunk hood lock. I go around to open the frunk and it has not popped up one iota after having pulled the release- it looks exactly as if I hadn't pulled the release. It's tricky, but I can barely get my fingers under the edge to pull the hood up enough to slide the release lever, and after that, everything is fine. I tried spinning the black rubber cones that hang down from the underside of the frunk lid like fangs, but there is no adjustment to be made there- I had hoped if I could spin them down that they would help pop the frunk lid up when released. I've just lived with it.

So I replaced the low beam bulbs when one burned out the other day, and after getting the headlights out, inside the passenger side headlight well I saw this metal cable release with a loop that pops the frunk hood. Huh? Should it be inside the frunk for anybody trapped in there? (Predates the glow-in-the-dark pull handle requirement.) It doesn't seem like there's a way to route it to be inside the frunk.

What the heck is it doing there? With the regular release, it's redundant, and anyway, you can't get in there without having already opened the frunk. But it occurred to me it might be related to the problem with my frunk lid not popping up enough.

Ideas? Thanks!
MikeMcMo is offline   Reply With Quote