View Single Post
Old 02-18-2020, 04:10 PM   #1
PaulE

Bi Xenon Projector Project wiring help needed please

My winter car project is building a second set of bi xenon projector headlights. Finally I have one light assembled and wired, but I'm stuck. Everything works except the bi xenon projector bulb isn't lighting. The halogen bulb works to flash the high beam when the headlights are off, the parking light, turn signal and fog light all work too, When I have the headlights on and push the stalk forward to high beams, I can hear the solenoid for the high/low shutter engage.

I'm using a kit from Morimoto which includes their Mini H1 7.0 Bi-Xenon, H7 Canbus, XB Igniter Amp, and Elite Ballast/Brain. This has 3 "boxes" Canbus, Igniter Amp and Ballast/Brain, compared to only 2 "boxes" in Nine8Six's GT Collection bi xenon kit. I'm pretty sure I have them all hooked up correctly - power goes into the Canbus, then to the Ballast/Brain, then the Igniter and finally to the xenon bulb.

I used the wiring diagram below provided by Particlewave and this picture of the headlight wiring pins I found searching the forum (probably also provided by Particlewave).

I didn't have the wiring correct on my first two attempts. On the first attempt, everything except the bi xenon projector worked and the halogen high beam flash worked whether or not the headlights were turned on.

On the second attempt, the halogen high beam was on when I turned on the headlight switch and the stalk was in the low beam position. Flashing or turning on the high beam didn't change the status of the halogen bulb, it stayed on. Everything else other than the bi xenon projector also worked, and I could hear the shutter solenoid work. But this is where I think i might have done something bad as I saw a little smoke coming from somewhere out of the black headlight housing.

So I took the light out and went back and retraced my wiring and found more mistakes. On the third attempt, I am pretty certain I have all the wiring correct, but the bi xenon projector still won't light up.

When I reinstall my Nine8Six projector built by Particlewave, everything still works correctly, so I didn't blow a fuse or damage any of the car wiring. This was the case after all three of my wiring attempts on the new light.

I don't think I damaged the relay on wiring attempt 2 as I tried swapping that after the third wiring attempt and there was no change. Plus, since I can hear the bi xenon shutter solenoid working and the halogen high beam still flashes when the lights are turned off, I think the relay must be good. and since the shutter solenoid and halogen high beam flash and all the other lights work, I think all of the pins are engaging in the socket when I put this newly built light into the car.

Next weekend I am going to get back to this. Since I have all of the components for the other light which haven't been touched yet - the bulb, Canbus, Igniter and Ballast, I will try swapping them all one at a time to see if I damaged any of them in my second wiring attempt. Do you think that is possible that I damaged something when I saw the smoke?

Also, is there a positive and negative side to the Canbus power wires? One has clear insulation and one has black. I have assumed that black is negative and clear is positive. Is polarity only one way for the Canbus?

Thanks for reading and hopefully someone with more skills than I have can provide some suggestions.

Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote