View Single Post
Old 02-17-2020, 09:13 AM   #9
maytag
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparke4 View Post
Yes keeping stock MAF housing/ cutting right up to stock air box for use with rest of 3 inch piping (there are some aftermarket alum MAF housing kits but i found a lot of mixed reviews on the quality of the alum)... and I have a cayman/ 911 (996) TB that is 74mm i believe that bolts onto the plenum.

I am also installing a oil catch can in the trunk in line with the stock AOS (replacing that as well for prev. main.) as my boxster just crossed 96k (2002 S)
If your intake tube/ plenum and TB are all breathing through a smaller-diameter MAF housing (the OEM MAF hsng) you may be disappointed. Have you considered that?

I'm all about the mod, don't misunderstand. But I'm not sure it makes a ton of sense to do what is clearly a PITA mod, just to neck-it-down and let it keep breathing through the OEM MAF Housing.

If you increase the volume on the front end, then neck-it-down at the MAF, you may get some increased velocity over the MAF. But then you dump it back out into a larger-volume space (your larger plenum), you'll find reduced volume AND velocity. And likely some unwanted turbulence as well, right in front of your TB.

just food for thought.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote