View Single Post
Old 10-16-2006, 10:27 AM   #2
pecivil

I have done the swap to Box S brakes on my 00 box. I did it to upgrade braking to match the 3.4l 996 engine I am putting in.

The fronts are a straight swap. The S calipers bolt right on, and the rotors as well. The S rotors, in addition to being cross drilled are also larger in diameter, and wider than the stock S.

The rears are more of a pain. Probably to get a significant improvement in braking, you could just do the fronts and leave the rears stock, but I didn't want to leave the rears stock for the sake of completeness (or some may say obsession!!). The rear rotors are also wider and larger in diameter, and they don't fit with the caliperson the stock non "S" wheel carrier. When you bolt on the rotor, the caliper does not clear it. There is also a problem with the stock backing plate, which is too small to fit the rotor as well. So, from here you can go two ways, Way 1 would be to change out the wheel bearing carriers to those of an S, (the expensive way). You may need to change out some of the control arms as well, I am not sure. I know that the S has strengthened rear control arms, as well as larger bearing carriers.

Way 2 is to do what I did, which is to buy the very clever kit made by FVD which provides a larger backing plate, and spacers that go between the caliper and the bearing carrier. These spacer plates go between the caliper and the boss on the bearing carrier, and provide enough standoff so that the calipers can make it around the rotors.

You also need to buy the parking brakes shoes, springs, and tension adjuster of the S, which all fit very nicely with the revised backing plate.

Hope this helps
Evo Intake
Partial Carbon Interior
Black Leather Sport seats
M030 Sway Bars
Litronics w/ Clear Corners
Boxster S brakes
B&M Short Shifter
PnP rear Speakers + Amp
pecivil is offline   Reply With Quote