View Single Post
Old 02-13-2020, 10:11 PM   #26
Topless
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpIcEz View Post
Did no one test a well sealed paper cone filter?

Just seems like they abandoned half way through.

Boxster aren't the only IC engines on the planet, principles of physics and engineering arent different in the M96 universe, unless I'm mistaken.

There is a reason that ITBs are the best nor NA engines, if you manage the air fuel right.
The most direct route is the best.

It just seems like everyone who abandoned just didn't build a well sealed unit to keep hot air out.
No one built a well sealed cone style paper filter so no, none tested. What is your attraction to the cone style specifically? Do you think it flows significantly more air than a pleated filter in an airbox designed and tested extensively at the Porsche R&D facility? Have you actually flow tested this yourself or do you rely completely on marketing claims? I suspect that the Porsche R&D testing is 100x more sophisticated than any aftermarket air filter company. What does Porsche use for their winning factory team GT3 Cup cars at 24hr Le Mans and 24hr Daytona? Check it out yourself.

Show me some hard independent data and we can have a conversation about which filter types measurably improve intake flow rates. Bisimoto did about the most extensive independent flow testing and he did not find significant improvement on the Boxster. Test results were within the margin for error (1-2hp) on his dyno for a given day.

There are applications for a cone style air filter and Bisi uses 2 on his completely custom 850hp Twin Turbo 911. They were an obvious choice because the turbos hang off the back of the car and need to be cleaned often being fully exposed to road grime. He has now gone fully electric with a 650hp Porsche 935. Fun guy and he lives about 20 minutes from my house. We see him often at events.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4HVBx1TmGE

Last edited by Topless; 02-13-2020 at 10:51 PM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote