View Single Post
Old 02-04-2020, 10:41 PM   #6
truegearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawren View Post
Thank you for all of your input.

I already have the stock 17” wheels for the RE71Rs for autocross. I also already own the 18” OZ wheels that I had from when I tracked my 997. Based on my research, another set of 17” wheels will cost me between $500 and $1000. The difference in cost between the 17” NT01s and the wider 18” R888Rs is about $250.

Does that change any of the recommendations? Will the limited number of runs that I get out of the R888Rs versus the NT01s quickly eat up the cost savings realized by using the 18” wheels versus buying new 17” wheels?

I’m a big fan of the NT01s, so I won’t need a whole lot of convincing. And, if you tell me the 17” NT01 setup is faster I have some 18” OZs for sale.
Definitely run the 17”s, not the 18”s. it didn’t always used to be the case but now track tires and autocross tires are very different. Autocross tires will not last long at all on the track and most will over heat after a single lap (there are some exceptions like the Rival S) and track tires will not be sticky enough for an autocross if you’re trying to be competitive. It’s all what you want to do.

I didn’t think you could add lower control arms in SCCA? If you can do that over a front sway bar, Boxsters understeer and a front bar doesn’t help. Finally can you go wider on that front tire (I believe you can within scca rules). I’d go as wide as you can for track or autocross. Good luck!
truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote