View Single Post
Old 01-22-2020, 05:24 PM   #19
RedTele58

Among my many projects is my '84 928S that I've finally started on after it followed me home a couple of years ago.

As much as I love my fleet of Boxsters, the early/mid '80s 928S cars are, and have always been, my favorite Porsche. The first 928 I saw in 1978, new on the dealer floor, absolutely blew me away. I drove by the Porsche dealer twice a day back and forth to college from '81-'85 and made every excuse I could to stop by and drool over them.

My '84 is a total restoration project. I could find a driver for much less than I'll have in this car, but this car has a draw to me that's hard to describe. It's not an easy project, but not impossible. It's the exact challenge I need at this point in my life.

It hasn't been on the road in 15 years and sat neglected in the PO's parents driveway for that entire time, baking in the Oklahoma sun, with Grandma occasionally gave it a love tap with her Buick as she pulled past it.

Right now I'm completely rebuilding the fuel system from the gas tank to the injectors and refreshing the electrical system from front to back. One saving grace to this project is the entire electrical system is untouched. Not a single cut wire, splice or half-assed add on. Even the factory Blaupunkt radio and speakers have never been fiddled with.

The 928 forum on Rennlist is an absolute encyclopedia of knowledge and guys that know every nut and bolt on these cars. There's numerous detailed write-ups of bringing these cars back to life after sitting for 10-15 years, so I'm confident it can be done. Lot's ahead of me, but it's only time and money.