View Single Post
Old 01-20-2020, 02:01 AM   #1
Russdawg1

Custom Fab Parts? (3D Printer, CNC Mill, etc)

Man, who does this kid think he is? First he wants to swap a manual Boxster S engine into an automatic base Boxster. Now he wants to make custom parts for a car he doesn't even own?

Heh.

Anyways, so I tried looking around without that much luck. There were the occasional spurts of almost what I was looking for, but not quite.

What parts do you think would be great to make custom?

Off the top of my head I thought intake parts. You could easily 3D Print it, with NylonX or similar (ABS Could work, anything with better than normal heat tolerance), for super cheap (ABS Costs something like $0.40 a gram, so a part similar to Pedro's Techno-Torque would cost way under $259 (try $2.59). And while it may not be super optimized, it would be cheap, and would work. And with the brief research on intake results and findings I've done on this forum, instead of having super optimized geometry, you just open up the diameter and it'll let just as much air in correct? Though, not too much as then the DME can't adjust for it and you'll forever run lean...?

Anyways, it doesn't stop at 3D printing, you can CNC Mill parts, hell, you could make lightweight aluminum everything for the engine, valves, pistons, shafts, etc (I probably will not be doing that till I understand what the hell even goes on under there though).

But yeah, I wasn't able to find much on this topic, perhaps for good reason?

What are your guy's thoughts and ideas for what someone could do with access to a 3D Printer and CNC Mill? If anything produced becomes a success, we could be looking at a new era of 3D printed Boxster parts! :P
Russdawg1 is offline   Reply With Quote