View Single Post
Old 01-19-2020, 11:26 AM   #5
78F350
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
This thread needs Pics...

For me, having a purpose for the project gives me motivation and a pace. Building for an event is fun for me and usually goes well. Buying a project car just because it looked cool at the time leads to 'stall'. My 2000 S project car was mostly intended as a track car for DE, so that I wouldn't worry about damaging one of my 'street' cars. Along the way, there were changes in my schedule and family issues that made spending weekends at the track a lot less appealing. I did have fun with it on the track and learned a lot from working on it.

The car itself and a part that I had fabricated for it were also very disappointing. Eventually it sat under a cover for a year without moving. About a month ago, I decided that it would be better as a parts donor for other projects that I enjoy more. It's behind the garage now slowly being pulled apart and integrated into other cars or sold.

Project cars are too easy for me to buy and I always have a few at once. With all the parts I have stocked up for Porsche/Audi/VW there's hardly room in the garage to work on one car. To keep some measure of control on it, I have a rule: One has to now go before a new one comes in. I recently sold a project '91 Golf and hauled off the shell of a Boxster to scrap. My current project car plan is: Red '97 is prime right now, '81 Scirocco in the Spring, $2000 Challenge car in the Summer. That's the plan anyway.